[meteorite-list] Any ideas on how to sell samples of the new impactite layer?

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 08:47:41 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all -

While Darren has little interest in samples from the
new impactite layer, I think that there is going to be
a large market for them, including but not only for
classroom use.

I don't know if a small plastic box with a magnifier
built into its lid (fresnel? or ordinary) could
provide sufficient enlargement. Could a two stage
plastic box with combined optics work?

If one were to use microscope slides, they would have
to have a tape binding of some sort, perhaps holding a
graphic in place as well.

Would school microscopes provide sufficient
magnification to see the spherules? Would toy
microscopes of the type commonly sold be capable of
doing it?

Would one use some kind of suspension agent, such as
an oil, to make the spherules stand out?

I am thinking that if samples of them can be easily
had, there are two other impactite layers, the K-T and
the Chesapeake Bay, which perhaps might be marketed
the same way.

good hunting,
E.P. Grondine
Man and Impact in the Americas