[meteorite-list] ARCTIC IRONS

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2007 22:58:56 -0800 (PST)

Hi all -

The incidence of 10Be is taken by some to be a sign of
extra-solar system activity, but my working hypothesis
is that it may also appear as a product of
hyper-velocity impact, as does C14:

"When protons caught this way (high energy/velocity
state) in the sun's atmosphere collide with the nuclei
of carbon, nitrogen and oxygen, they can form a
nucleus with four protons and six neutrons - one
neutron more than the stable form of beryllium - for a
total of 10 nuclear particles, giving beryllium-10 its
name."

In my old school way of thinking, the protons for the
10BE production are released at the same time as the
neutrons for the C14 production, by the impacts, but
then they probably have newer terms for all of this
nowadays.

Bottom Line: iron impactor, roughly a little larger
than the one that hit at Barringer.

good hunting all,
E.P. Grondine
Man and Impact in the Americas