[meteorite-list] Asteroid may be set to slam Mars in Jan.

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 23:12:23 -0600

Hi, Mark, Francis, List,

    Heck of a good question implied here ("what does
it take to stir the inert?"). I suggest a small impact crater
on the White House lawn! Or in the Washington Mall!
A nick in the Capitol Dome? Take one tacky corner off
Parliament? A small Paris suburb? (It would never be
missed.)

    Even better than an observation of a Mars impact
from Earth would be an observation from Mars. Much
better view. Of course, we don't have a "LiveCam" in
orbit, but the question would be: "could we jury-rig
something to snap the moment?" And don't forget one
Rover is "on the edge" of the impact circle; snapshot
of the horizon at the right moment?

    We can cheer unabashedly for an impact on Mars,
as the Martians have zero political influence and get
no sympathy from the planet they have fictionally
invaded so often. I'm rooting for the asteroid, so to
speak.

Sterling K. Webb