[meteorite-list] Meteowrong anecdotes?

From: Tom Randall <tommy2005_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2007 21:11:44 -0500

Hi Rob!
    Well I'm a ham radio operator and one night a few years ago I had
a conversation with a guy on a "UFO" net who swears HE had a
meteorite and actually seen it come down. I asked him to tell his
story. He said he saw it come down ON FIRE, it threw sparks all the
way down to the ground next to him and it was red hot and smoking!
WOW!!!! He had a photo of it on a web site and it was obviously NOT a
meteorite of coarse. I just checked and the photo is gone now. I
tried to explain to him there was no way it was on fire and sparking
but he got fairly upset with me for not believing him. Either he was
full of it or someone was playing with him!

Regards!

Tom

On Feb 3, 2007, at 11:47 AM, FERNLEA4 at aol.com wrote:

> << I was wondering, have any of you been approached with any really
> absurd meteowrongs? >>
>

> Just one or two!
> Here's my all time favourite meteowrong email..............
>

> "On Mar 5 1989 at 705 pm, I was tooling north on HWY 71 in Loisiana
> when i felt and heard a sharp snap that sounded like a bullet
> hitting. I got out of the car and looked for bullet holes but
> didn't see any. I continued, on the return i noticed one of my
> headlights was out. (It turned dark) In the am i began replacing
> the headlight when i found the hole i had missed the last night but
> the angle didn't look right. i stuck a 1/2 " dowel in the hole and
> figured it had entered at about 5 degrees east and 10 degrees
> north. I removed the headlight and found this little critter
> inside. The object had pierced the headlight, bounced off the
> frame of the car and ended up inside the headlight. I immediately
> suspected islamic terrorists, of course. (i was way ahead of the
> curve on this, i spent time in the middle east) being forced to
> abandon this theory (it required a muslem shooting a rock gun from
> a heilocopter) i concluded that it was a meteorite. had i been in
> a little more of a hurry it would have entered at my clavicle and
> exited at my ...well never mind. the picture is poor, it feels
> like it's made of metal and has little pits in it. it's about 5/8".
>
> i was hoping someone could tell me what it is. i keep it to remind
> me of the fickle finger of fate. i found (on the web) some nickle
> iron ones that look like it, course i found some nickle iron ones
> that didn't."
>
> Can anyone beat that??
>
> Rob Elliott

-----
In just two days, tomorrow will be yesterday.

http://home.hvc.rr.com/kb2sms/