[meteorite-list] techical advice

From: Dave Harris <entropydave_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 21:24:55 +0100 (GMT Daylight Time)

Hi

One of my lumps of LDG has a very small (<3mm) chip in it - ordinarily it
wouldn't bother me at all, but it's left a teeny sharp pointy bit sticking
out that always catches one's hand.

What would be a appropriate way to remove this point? My initial thought was
to carefully play a blowtorch across the asperity to melt it down and reduce
the sharpness, but would i end up with an exploded, thermally shocked
handful of glass chips?

Abrasives could also be used, but I'd feel more comfortable with a blowtorch
and being careful( used to make glass labware when I was a kid - not too
successfully, but without serious accidents!)

Or should I just leave well alone?!

Anyone out there with experience with LDG?

Ta!

Dave
IMCA #0092
Sec.BIMS