[meteorite-list] Question: Just How ...?

From: Frank Cressy <fcressy_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 21:33:33 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Robert and all,

Interesting topic. Like Norm, I'm also a geologist
and have been consulting for about 20 years now. Every
once in a while someone would bring in the "family
Rock", ...that treasure they had carried from place to
place over the years because they knew it was
valuable. Back in 1997, someone brought in a large
wind/water sculpted sandstone (complete with
crossbedding) wanting me to confirm it was a valuable
meteorite. I hadn't seen any meteorites in person at
that time, but knew right away this wasn't one.
Anyway, I decided that I'd better see if I could buy a
meteorite on ebay to better educate myself should one
of those valuable "family rocks" actually be a
meteorite. I purchased about a 100 gram Sikhote Alin
from Jim Strope and also purchased a copy of "Rocks
from Space". Still have both. Then I discovered
stoney meteorites, so purchased a small Gao, and then
a tektite...then a small Millbillillie (needed an
achondrite of course), how about a stoney iron, better
get a small Vaca Muerta slice...and on..and on...

Guess now I'm really addicted...

Cheers,
Frank