[meteorite-list] IMPACT & ICE AGES [WAS: Abstract: EL3 Chondrite (not Aubrite)NorthwestAfrica 2828]

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 19:09:09 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Sterling, all -

A brief summary of the end of the last ice age, which
is set out in depth in Man and Impact in the Americas:

1)Earlier there are warm currents off the west coast
of today's Canada. The Lenape were hunting sea turtle
there. These warm currents resulted in snow in today's
Canada, snow which reflected the Sun's heat back into
space, and the Earth got colder.

2)An impact created the Alaskan and Siberian mucks,
and changed the currents in the North Pacific. Colder
water now came down from further north, cooling the
current off the coast of Canada. Less snow on Canada,
more sunlight absorbed, the Earth warmed.

This is pretty much what the physical evidence shows,
and pretty much what the peoples remembered. I can't
speak beyond that: 10,000 years ago.

What I can say about the earlier ice ages is that you
have to consider that the land which bounded those
early currents may have changed.

Finally, mt DNA shows the Iroquoian and Algonquin
peoples crossed Beringia earlier. Beringia was not
there later.

All this (in detail) and much much more in "Man and
Impact in the Americas", and list members can contact
me off list for the special deal for a signed copy. I
hope those who obtained their copies in Tucson are
enjoying them, and I hope I will be able to write a
little more about the peoples and meteorites soon,
having covered the peoples and impacts in the book.
But then hell, I still need to write my Tucson thank
you note to everyone.

good hunting,
Ed

--- "Sterling K. Webb" <sterling_k_webb at sbcglobal.net>