[meteorite-list] Looking for hunting success story

From: dean bessey <deanbessey_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 19 May 2007 15:26:10 -0700 (PDT)

I have done OK with unclassified NWAs. In the catagory
of the worst, most weathered ugly stuff that you ever
see in morocco I once had a 400 gram meteorite on ebay
for $77. Was a likely H chondrite as it had the
magnetic qualities of an H. After not selling it I
figured that it was so ugly that nobody would ever buy
it at any price so I decided to chop it up. A saw
blade gets about a quarter inch into and is totally
worn away. I figure that the blade is old and replace
it - getting another quarter inch before the new blade
is shot. So now I figure something is strange here.
After banging the half inch or so off with an hammer I
see an obvious ureilite and I get over $5000 for
something I would have been happy getting $77 for a
few hours earlier.
I also found the worlds only EL3 outside antarctica (I
think another has been found since) and a CO3 cutting
what I thought would be an LL.
There are others but these stand out in my memory this
morning. I think I found a new EH5 or 6 a couple
weeks ago randomly cutting what I thought would be an
H but I dont know for sure yet.
Cheers
DEAN
http://www.meteoriteshop.com