[meteorite-list] Chang's Moon

From: drtanuki <drtanuki_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 15:45:12 -0800 (PST)

Hi Doug and List,
  Thanks Doug for the interesting post as always. The
rabbit goes by the name of Moon Rabbit (???\) or Jade
Rabbit (???\) (aka Gold Rabbit (???\).
  The Rabbit in Japanese folklore,?????e, is busy
pounding mochi (sticky rice cakes) in a traditional
mochi mortar; mochi is eatten during the Lunar New
Year (mochizuki- full moon) by Japanese to ensure a
long life.
  In Chinese mythology, the rabbit is given the task
of helping the moon goddess, Chang`e, make magical
eternal life elixer from herbs.

  For more about this:

http://www.onmarkproductions.com/html/nikko-gakko.shtml

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_rabbit