[meteorite-list] Ruben Garcia reports: "Glorieta, not hunting allowed..."

From: Steve Schoner <schoner_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 17:31:41 GMT

Ruben Garcia wrote:

"All hunting on private land in Glorieta is no longer permitted. Prices are getting high and will only go higher. If you don't have a Glorieta individual get one now! This is not a "scare tactic" or "hype" to sell a few pieces. Nice full slices can still be had at a decent price from Mike Miller _at_ http://www.meteoritefinder.com/glorieta.htm

However, there will be no more individuals coming out of the strewnfield, any hunters that try will be arrested."

Gee I wonder why?

"Taking the Hill" "Glorieta hunts" and all the publicity on the "Treasure" out there on lands that are not only private but also historic battlefields from two wars, the Mexican and the Civil War.

Holes left uncovered, trash and bottles scattered on once pristine land. Off road tracks criss crossing every hill and cranny... and more importantly historic relics thought to be old trash were removed from where they were found and piled elsewhere or trashed. And what some thought to be trash was in fact an archeologist's treasure. Whenever I encountered an artifact, I put it right back into the hole, covering as it was. Every hole I ever dug and covered cannot be found today.

No wonder that meteorite hunters will be arrested and might I add prosecuted.

In the many years that I searched, I always got permission from land owners if I went onto private lands. Now most of those landowners are gone, having sold their lands to others. But for the most part my searches were pretty much restricted to public lands, and well off of the battlefield areas,

Blab, blab, blab...

Make as much publicity and stink as one can, trash the land... And the result is that that area and any other future meteorite fields that we might find gets shut down.

No respect for the rights of property owners; leaving the land cratered like the moon, plastic bottles that will take centuries to break down scattered everywhere...

What does Ruben and everyone expect from landowners with their high publicity meteorite hunts?

A public, and Government welcoming committee?

Steve Schoner
IMCA 4470