[meteorite-list] Ad New Canadian Meteorite for sale

From: Darren Garrison <cynapse_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2008 14:26:27 -0500

On Sun, 7 Dec 2008 12:57:16 -0500, you wrote:

>This is a serious business...

One last point on this-- of course a "business" will legitamately want to make
as much money for product or service X as they can for it-- but it is entirely a
different matter to expect customers of said business to want the business to
charge more, which is what Darryl said and I was replying to--

quote:

"Everything else being the same, no witnessed fall should ever sell for
a couple of bucks a gram, and we should all strive to make certain
this doesn't occur."

Meaning-- we should try to keep the prices of these high, even if they could
sell for less. With the implication that this is to attract "serious
collectors", which seems to mean rich people collecting for future profits.

Now, while (to illustrate with some other buyable product) it is well and good
for Best Buy to want $1000 for a flat-screen TV if they can get it. But it
isn't reasonable to expect the customer to want Best Buy to charge $1000 for
that flat-screen when it COULD sell for $100. If what it costs to sell it at a
profit is $1000, then fine. But if it could be sold for $100, why on Earth
would the customer be expected to get behind selling it for $1000 just because
$100 is "too cheap"? My position as a consumer is to attempt to pay the lowest
reasonable cost for any item.

I'd think that the main expense for hunters isn't the travel costs, but the cost
of buying the meteorites from the land owner, who always expect it to be a "get
rich quick" situation. If the land owners expect (and get) a price that
requires hunters to resell it at around $50 a gram, then that's what the hunters
will have to charge. But if the land owners didn't expect as much money, then
the resellers wouldn't have to charge as much money. It is a feedback loop.