[meteorite-list] Dealers, Sellers: Please INSURE your shipments

From: Gary Fujihara <fujmon_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2009 12:59:15 -1000

Aloha,

I have been the victim of theft after discovering that over $1600
worth of meteorites were missing from a shipment I received from
Argentina. I had noticed the package felt light, but discovered that
the US postal service is not responsible for thefts of the contents of
international mailed items that are not insured. This shipment was
not insured and so I will in all likelihood take the full brunt of
this loss.

Thievery by customs officials, foreign and domestic postal workers and
other individuals or organized groups inside and outside the US is a
possibility! I believe most packages arrive at their destinations
with their contents intact, but feel it is negligent and at the very
least unconscionable not to insure shipments at or above the full
value of the contents. I know it costs more to do so, but please
consider insurance especially for foreign shipments. Mailing specimen
cards and paperwork separately from the meteorites can also prevent
thieves from knowing what those "Mineral Samples" are.

Is it fair for me, the buyer to take the loss alone for this theft? I
personally don't think so, unless I was given a choice and elected not
to insure. I would hope that the seller (an IMCA member who, to his
credit is working with me) would have a sudden rush of conscience and
compensate, or share the loss with me, since his act of omission
provides me with little if any recourse. What are my rights, and what
can I do? Do other dealers insure their shipments? What is SOP?

Gary Fujihara
AstroDay Institute
105 Puhili Place, Hilo, HI 96720
(808) 640-9161, fujmon at mac.com