[meteorite-list] Dealers, Sellers: Please INSURE your shipments

From: R N Hartman <rhartman04_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 16:54:56 -0700

Aloha Gary,

I'd also like to know more about seller's experiences collecting insurance
from the USPS. They tell me that unless you can document a tangible basis
for cost that you paid (invoice, receipts, etc.) you can not collect even
though you hasve paid for insurance. This is difficult to do if you are the
finder (I picked it up off the ground!) and seller of the specimen. Or, for
example, you buy from a foreign source for 12 cts a gram a meteorite that
turns out to be a Martian worth $2000/g., you can only collect the 12 cts.
if it is lost in transit when you sell it.

 I think that you need to insist that the seller personally guarantee the
value of the shipment either by insurance or otherwise, but have it be his
responsibility. I doubt that you would have much luck collecting insurance
from a foreign country yourself.

And I don't think FedEx is much better. We had a tracked and signed parcel
shipped to us from Switzerland once (membrane boxes) which Fed Ex delivered
in error to an attorney's office in the Bahamas! FedEx tracked it and they
lost it. Even though someone signed for it, they denied they recived it.
Then it took several months before we could get FedEx to pay for the loss
even though it was insured.

Ron