[meteorite-list] Chiemgau--an unsung hammer

From: Mr EMan <mstreman53_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 20:49:57 -0700 (PDT)

Chiemgau in Southern Germany contains a 4500yo crater field which was largely brought to scientific light just this decade and largely investigated by what we fondly know as "amateurs" --quiet capable and serious amateurs I might add. These appears to be a perfect marriage of amateur and academic cooperation.

Their thoroughness is a hallmark to achieve in future investigation.
Documentation for this crater field is top notch and has been presented in detail at this website.

<http://www.chiemgau-impact.com/geschichte.html>

The PDF file at this link is deserving of book status and contains amongst other things, photos of bone and hair samples suggesting the Chiemgau impactor was indeed a very large hammer.

<http://www.chiemgau-impact.com/artikel2.pdf>

Are any of the CIRT members also members of this list? IF so please speak up and take a bow!!

Elton