[meteorite-list] Proud Tom Call !

From: Darren Garrison <cynapse_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 18:29:38 -0500

On Sun, 29 Mar 2009 23:46:32 +0200, you wrote:

>real.....this is not humor, its only insult persons. Here in
>Italy a " person " type proud tom it has not had a long
>life, it would been taken a nice denounces for libel

Matteo, "Proud Tom" is a little before my time, so I have only the vaguest idea
of what this "humor" is-- but there have been lots of cases in the US, too, of
people suing for libel over things posted on the internet. Here in the US,
somebody can sue just about anyone for just about anything-- they may not WIN
that law suit, but they can still file it, and cause the person a heap of
emotional and finincial harm defending themselves. For instance, if someone
concidered something said by "Proud Tom" about them (I think I get the idea that
"Proud Tom" parodies list members) then that person can sue Michael Blood in an
attempt to get the name of "Proud Tom." They might not WIN that lawsuit and
make him be required to turn over the name, but he would still have the hassle
and expense of hiring defense lawyers and showing up in court. And if they DID
win the lawsuit and get "Proud Tom's" identity and sue him, the courts might
decide that the parodies are protected speech and thus not libel, or they might
find that it is harmful defamation. Either way, again, "Proud Tom" would have
the expense and hassle of defending himself.

See recent news related to the issue:

http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&safe=off&num=100&q=defamation%20internet%20law&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wn

Oh, yeah, IANAL.