[meteorite-list] Fireballs From The Sky: Bombarded

From: Alexander Seidel <gsac_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 17:59:20 +0200

> Isn't this abnormally high meteor activity? Is our planet traveling
> through a large field of asteroidal space debris right now? How can some
> many fireballs and meteorite falls happen in such a short period of time
> unless this were the case?

Random statistics over a longer timescale doesn?t necessarily yield a smooth and uniform distribution of events and won?t exclude some clumping at times, given usual confidence levels. Then again other plausible *natural* causes or mechanisms, apart from the regular seasonal variations that George just mentioned, can also not be ruled out. This will need some deeper investigation as time goes by, but may be hard to verify.

Alex
Berlin/Germany