[meteorite-list] AD - Lunar available for sale

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 17 May 2009 09:27:25 -0700 (PDT)

This has nothing to do with competition. It has everything to do with proper chain of custody, legitimate nomenclature assignment, TKW figures, science and collector confidence. Just because a Moroccan dealer says something is a lunar meteorite does not make it so. Just ask the buyers who got ripped off in Tucson this year and the year before. There have been some very convincing lunar-looking Eucrites that have fooled some of the best. There was an embarrassing incident where a scientist claimed something was lunar before running all of the tests and it turned out to be a Eucrite. Many dealers had to recall the material after being in a hurry to put it on the market.

To put things in perspective, Luniates are considered the top of the meteorite collectibles chain every since the article, "Mining for Meteorites" in the Smithsonian magazine stated so. Only advanced mineral collections incorporate Meteorite specimens. A mineral specimen is worth a fraction of its cost if the find location and history are not known.

Advanced mineral collectors would be appalled by what has happened with Martian meteorites and self-pairings. One well-known dealer purchased material from a Moroccan who stated it was paired to one of our stones. We publicly objected to this dealer using nomenclature assigned to our stones so he sent a piece in for study. It turned out to be a completely new Martian meteorite that was almost lost to science.

I would dislike seeing Lunar meteorites being treated the same as some Martian meteorites. Total known weights have been carefully recorded to this point and it would be a shame to lose control.

I congratulate anybody who is able to acquire lunar material, have it Laboratory confirmed and pass the Meteoritical Society Nomenclature Committee for name assignment. It would demonstrate proper respect for some of the world's rarest material. Anything less is a disservice. Dealers are not allowed to rate their own diamonds or coins so why should meteorites that are much more rare be any different?

Best Regards,

Adam