[meteorite-list] Ash Creek Prices.

From: Jason Utas <meteoritekid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 15:36:32 -0800

Michael,
You wrote my name at the top of your post; it wasn't the accident of a
reply-function that put me there.

True, I didn't weight the averages, but take a look at the March 24th
post; most of the stones *were* between ten and twenty grams. And all
of the other numbers I stated - that the majority of finders came away
with a stone 60g or larger, and that more than 2/3 of hunters came
back with ~50g grams or more - that's all true. My average might not
represent the weighted average weight of the stones, but your replies
- that most hunters came away with a gram or two, and that most stones
found weighed a gram or two are also not entirely true. While many of
the stones found were in that range, the majority were 10-15g+.

> For your information, Greg has been pounding me and Jack for months about
> Arizona, this is what this is about.

Ok...then next time please don't involve me by writing my name at the
top of the page...

> Your data on Ash Creek is very wrong though, you are simply adding up the
> total weight and dividing it among known stones for an average weight,
> totally unscientific.

Yes and no - see above.

> Three?large stones weighed neary 40% of the mass recovered. I know most
> hunters found one or two over 20 grams, but most were less than 10 grams.

That only effects the weighted average of the weights - not the other
things I said - again, addressed above.

> Anyway, Jason, why dont you search for stones I sold, NEVER one gram on
> ebay, I sold two stones to collectors, both stone in the 5 gram or less
> range. The rest I kept or traded to ASU at a $30 gram trade rate (fair price
> in my view and theirs as they were happy).

That does sound fair, but then I fail to see why you wrote a post
seeming to defend the $100/g price tag *especially* when you yourself
saw this as unreasonable and donated many of your finds for $30/g. I
still see that price as high, by the way - compare to Park Forest,
which sells in the $20-25/g range nowadays.

> I sold the large stone for not far above $10 gram. Fair price.? so the
> argument about $100 gram is moot on my part anyway, as I never participated
> in those sales.

Again, I used those numbers because you criticized Greg's note saying
that prices were unreasonable. And they were. At $100/g, I would
have made $19,000 if I sold my stones. Not bad for a week's walking
around. Of course, that would only be a profit of $17,000 or so, but
still.

Which really begs the question - based on what you're saying now, you
should have no beef with Greg whatsoever over what he was saying about
the price range on West. He wasn't asking for $5/g - in my opinion
(and, from what I gathered, this was his opinion as well), if the
stones sold in the $20-30/g range, prices would actually be *fair.* I
wouldn't call them good prices, and I personally wouldn't buy them at
that price, but I think that's what he was getting at.

The older prices for West ($60-100/g) simply don't make sense. Again,
I find it hard to find a flaw in this statement given the fact that
expenses for Park Forest were undoubtedly higher, the fall was much
more interesting (so many hammers, an urban fall!), and...the tkw's
aren't *that* far apart. It's the only fall I can really relate West
to, as it's the only sizable American fall from which any number of
stones was made available to collectors in the past decade or so.

> Please dont even think about making these kind of profit statements, as they
> are so far off they aren't even funny.

You seem(ed) to be defending the $100/g price tag, so I used it.
Don't blame me.

> The buyer of the mass is on this list, he can contact you should he desire
> to confirm my price.

Don't really care - as I said, that wasn't my point in the first place.

> I have to go back and look at the books but in all honesty, I cleared about
> $3000 after expenses on Ash Creek and have a nice little pile of stones on
> the side.

Again, don't care. Wasn't the point of my email.

> Not quite the mega numbers you are putting in your email.

Mhm. But now you seem to be advocating the $30/g price tag, or
thereabouts, so I've really nothing to say - from my perspective,
you've done a 180.

> Either way, this argument still comes down to one simple fact I am trying to
> get through to Greg, if you dont like the price, don't pay it.

That's not what you said at all. Go have a look at the email - if
that's what you were trying to say, you didn't accomplish it, and you
made it a pretty mean email on top of that.

> Just don't keep crying neary a year later.

I assume you're talking to him, not me.
And the language, again - you're asking for people to take offense.
This is the sort of thing my older brother would say to me to goad me
into fighting - 'you're such a crybaby' and all of that rubbish.
I have two things to say to this:

1) You're sending an email out to 900 people. Saying stuff like that
so that everyone can see it is...kind of embarrassing.

2) It just doesn't belong. If you have a beef with him, you should
both have it out on the side, maturely. Goading...just doesn't belong.

> I am not too concerned at this point about Greg Catterton, he wants us to
> give him everything, and nothing less will satisfy him.

Asking for prices that were in the $20-30/g range isn't insane. It's
what collectors have come to expect the price tag to be on new
American falls, due to what we've seen in the past. There's really
nothing to explain the 500% markup between Ash Creek and Park Forest
prices...there just isn't.

You seem to be suggesting that the price was $100/g, but since he's
asking for less, he must be asking for the stones for next-to-nothing.
 Your logic is just...well, it's not logic. Asking for fairer prices
on a fall that's $100/g doesn't mean he's asking you to sell at $5/g.
That's just taking what he said and twisting it so that he looks
stupid, when he's really asking for something that is, at least from
what I've seen over the past eleven years in the market, quite
reasonable.

> So I don't expect a Christmas card from him as this point.

I don't understand your point of view - it would seem to me that
losing a customer would be a bad thing.

Jason