[meteorite-list] Me too ; visitor from space

From: cdtucson at cox.net <cdtucson_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2009 12:05:38 -0700

List,
This may or may not post to the list. Sometimes it takes days for my posts to post.
I suppose this should go on record, even though not a great media story.
Back in November 8, 2008 the wife and I stopped at a yard sale. Just as we were pulling away from the side of the road something struck our car windshield. My first thought too was that someone had thrown something at our car. There were no others cars on the road either. I immediately stopped the car and got out only to find that there was no one else in sight. At that point we both thought maybe it was a meteorite. So, after just seconds of looking I right away saw what had hit and caused damage to the windshield. There it was a lonesome .61 gram fully crusted meteorite. I did not have my GPS with me at the time but I still remember the house because the yard sale guy came out and asked what we were doing. He also looked around a bit but the thing being so small it did not keep his attention for long. It was at around 10 AM that Saturday morning .
I mentioned this to a few listees at the time but nobody thought much about it but now I thought since people ( sterling) are doing mathematical calc's about this sort of thing I thought I better report it here now. Please see pictures attached. No, it has never been seen by scientists yet. It does attract to a magnet though. Probably too small to even worry about but it is what it is. A windshield hammer.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/13030472 at N07/sets/72157622480549073
I will head over there today to get the GPS co-ords.
Thanks Carl
--
Carl or Debbie Esparza
(520) 979-9865