[meteorite-list] Formation of Silicated Irons

From: Michael Fowler <mqfowler_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2009 21:16:14 -0500

> These irons may have formed after an impact into the chondritic
> surface of these bodies involving local melting and separation of the
> metallic and silicate liquids because they were immiscible. The metal
> liquid sank to the crater floor, incorporated some rapidly melted
> silicate
> debris and cooled. This is a controversial model and not universally
> accepted.

Alan,

Thanks so much for taking time from your busy schedule to respond to
the list on this subject.

Regarding the theory of formation of silicated irons by impact melting
and separation of melts, although this may leave much to be desired,
I was wondering what is/are the competing formation theories?

Sincerely,

Mike Fowler
Chicago

PS My main criticism is how there could be so many different IAB
irons from the same parent body, but apparently from different impact/
melt pools, and none from all the other asteroid bodies that must have
once existed?