[meteorite-list] Search for first U.S. lunar meteorite

From: Meteorites USA <eric_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 15:26:08 -0700

Hi Martin, The reward is a good idea. Jaime and I were talking about
something like a prize earlier today.

Perhaps something similar to the Google Lunar X Prize which will pay $10
Million to the first team to put a robot/rover on the Moon. Money is put
up by various sponsors, companies and donors for the prize. The first
team to accomplish the stated mission gets the is $10 Million prize.

Maybe this same model (on a smaller scale) could be applied to the first
USA Lunar meteorite discovery prize. Perhaps with dealers, enthusiasts
and others fronting the cash for the prize which could be split 50/50
between the Finder as cash prize and a University of choice as a grant
for equipment and/or for curriculum related to meteorite study.

"The USA Lunar Meteorite Prize" ;)

Maybe it would work if done right. There are over 1000 members on the
Meteorite list. If each person donated say a small $5 to the prize, then
we could offer $5000. If dealers and collectors got involved as sponsors
then they'd get the advertising exposure the prize would create, and
they may be able to donate as much as $100 or more each. There's more
than 100 dealers in the world. That's another $10,000 added to the
prize. The prize could be held in escrow/trust until someone finds a
verified USA Lunar meteorite (which could very well take years), then
it's announced through normal channels (Met Bull, Met Soc etc.)

$15,000 is a good motivator to find the first USA Lunar Meteorite. The
scientific achievement alone is worth it! And I'm sure other donors
might even donate more than $100 if they know at least 50% of the prize
would be donated to a University of choice. Which could be voted on by
meteorite community members, IMCA, Met Soc, etc.

What do you think?

Regards,
Eric