[meteorite-list] Degrees in Meteoritics

From: Bob Holmes <beardownbob_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 22:43:20 -0700

(Posted for Dave Mouat)

Please pass this on for me.

Michael Blood is dead wrong on this. In the physical sciences
(meteoritics, geology, physics, etc.), having a strong background in
mathematics, physics, and chemistry is absolutely essential. If you
have a BA in English (with little or no coursework in those fields),
you would have to be one incredibly sharp cookie to be considered for
a graduate program in the physical sciences. You would be taking
graduate courses in geochemistry, geophysics and the like with no
background in the basics. In fact, most graduate courses have
prerequisites (read "undergrad courses in related fields").

My two cents worth

Dave (current grad student advisor; former Coordinator, Arid Lands
Resource Sciences PhD Program, UofAZ