[meteorite-list] Meteorite Photography (Must read!)

From: Shawn Alan <photophlow_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 01:07:43 -0800 (PST)

Hello Listers,

If you want a sharp image use a flash. All I have been reading about this topic is on the f stop to maximize focus. True, that does control the DOF, but if you really want to capture a cripes image of your meteorites, I would suggest getting a flash, because that elements out of focus shots due to the length of the exposure time. And if you can get a hold of a macro lens that would be even better to capture the fine detail of the meteorite. Here is a link

http://www.encyclopedia-of-meteorites.com/collection.aspx?id=2704

to some of the meteorites I have in my growing collection that I have photographed with a profoto flash with an umbrella attached to the flash. The camera that I was using at the time was a Nikon d200 with a 18mm to 70mm lens. In the next few days ill be getting a macro lens from work and I might re shot my meteorites with the macro lens and set it at 1:1 ratio, now that will be a sight to see.

Shawn Alan