[meteorite-list] Meteorite Photography (Must read!)

From: Steve Dunklee <steve.dunklee_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 01:40:52 -0800 (PST)

I have not really taken great care doing macro photography of my meteorites. it doesnt matter what fstop you use as long as the lighting is correct. f22 with the right exposure time and lighting from a candle can get even better results than taking a photo in the full light of the sun. instead of using photoshop to combine images, longer exposure while you change the direction of the light source can do the same as combining images in photoshop with a lot less work. using 1 to 10x closeup lenses along with polarizing filters to reduce glare and using a background with as little contrast as possible can make your subject pop! i like to use wet dry sandpaper as a background. it gives less contrast and when adjusted to look white instead of grey gives a lot more detail. read up on the f16 rule and try to stick by it in your photos. if you use real film and not digital you can also control the light during printing. if you do your own processing. the best
 thing to do is to experiment and see what works for you.
have a great day
Steve Dunklee