[meteorite-list] Gebel Kamil iron is official now - 1.6 metric tons!?!?

From: Jason Utas <meteoritekid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 19:28:04 -0700

Mike, Greg, All,
Just 1.6 tonnes? It's a 40 meter crater. Use some logic/physics.
Carancas made a 40 *foot* crater. The low estimates of its mass were
in the 2-3 tonne range. This crater is three times the diameter...
The amount that's there is going to be a lot more than 1,600 kg. I'd
guess at least 10 tonnes or so, probably more.
Note how every fragment yet recovered was found on the surface of the
desert - every single piece has a nice side that is desert varnished
-- and they say they picked up only half of what was there...
Just wait 'till someone goes with a metal detector....
Regards,
Jason