[meteorite-list] Its official! NWA 6291 "The King of Angrites" for sale -...

From: Impactika at aol.com <Impactika_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 21:09:30 EDT

Jason,

Will this one do? _http://www.impactika.com/DOrbVug.jpg_
(http://www.impactika.com/DOrbVug.jpg)

Taken in Sept. 2001 in Denver, in Eduardo's show room.

Anne M. Black
_http://www.impactika.com/_ (http://www.impactika.com/)
_IMPACTIKA at aol.com_ (mailto:IMPACTIKA at aol.com)
Vice-President, I.M.C.A. Inc.
_http://www.imca.cc/_ (http://www.imca.cc/)

In a message dated 7/21/2010 6:44:57 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
meteoritekid at gmail.com writes:
Hello Greg, All,

Sheesh...you might read that paragraph again. The Hupe's don't sell
martian material with the statement "may contain traces of martian
life." At least they didn't the last time I checked....

And, yes, D'Orbigny contains cm-sized crystals of translucent, gemmy,
pallasite-like olivine. They compose about 1% of the meteorite, by
volume. I've seen some in some hand-sized specimens that E.T. had for
sale a few years ago, but can't find any great photos online.
Apparently Asu88 contains upwards of 10% similar crystals by volume
(see article linked-to above), but I couldn't find any pictures of
that one.

The interesting thing about your Angrite is the fact that the
translucent crystal is anorthosite. So far as I know, it's the first
time that a translucent *anorthosite* crystal has been found in an
Angrite.

Best,

Jason