[meteorite-list] Responsibility Over Ratings

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 15:25:30 -0400

Hi Adam,

Well said. I've said from day one when Meteorite Men hit the airwaves
- I like the show, but I hate the emphasis on dollar amounts. Any
time you tell the world that something is worth a lot of money, it
brings out the worst in people. If I had a dollar for every email I
have gotten from someone claiming to have found a CM2 like Sonny's,
I'd be a millionaire - and as Adam can testify, most of these people
don't want to hear the truth - that their rock is not a meteorite and
they have a better chance of hitting the powerball lottery than they
do of finding a CM2.

About treasure-hunting -

According to what I have heard and read, metal detecting is illegal on
public lands in Florida now.

The last dozen times I have been to the beach, I have seen too many
metal detectors to count. So either the law is not being enforced, or
I heard wrong. Some of these prospectors were operating within easy
sight of law enforcement and law enforcement didn't seem to notice or
care.

I have also heard that collecting arrowheads is illegal - again
though, don't tell the locals that, because very local down here who
prospects also has a drawer full of arrowheads.

Best regards,

MikeG