[meteorite-list] Meteorites and Humidity: Some Questions . . .

From: gracie <gracie_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 20:41:13 -0500

Hello Met List!

Quick background info:

About six or eight months ago, I began a meteorite collection. (I am so
completely hooked.) I store them primarily in Riker boxes and some in the
jewel cases they arrived in. I live in north central Florida and except
for my air conditioned home, I don't have the meteorites in any other
climate controlled container or cabinet. I'm noticing a few of the irons
(Miles especially) and one or two of the stony irons to appear a little
rustier than when they arrived.

I've read the good information here
(http://www.meteoritemarket.com/preserv.htm), but still have some
questions.

Given my location, is it unreasonable for me to expect that simply
purchasing (and consistently replacing) desiccant for each Riker box and
jewel box will stave off rust? I love having my meteorites on display and
the notion of squirreling them away in airtight tupperware makes me sad.
That being said, I would prefer to protect them than have them ruined by
humidity.

There are a number of places I can purchase desiccant online. Is there a
preferred or recommended location?

Finally, is a kit like this worth my time and money?
http://www.bhigr.com/store/product.php?productid=453

Thanks so much for your help!
Gracie