[meteorite-list] Meteors, by C. P. Oliver an original copy pubished in 1925

From: Bob Loeffler <bobl_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 18:55:37 -0700

Hi Shawn,

It's a well-known fact (there have been many studies done on it) that women
usually write with a curvier (larger loop) style than men do. That is what
Mike was referring to and I completely agree with him. The signature in
your book was probably done by a woman, but yes, there is still a
*possibility* that it was written by a man.

Signing your name and writing your signature is the same thing. I'm not
sure why you think they are different. If I sign my name, that is my
signature. Maybe you are talking about when a person casually writes
his/her name on something, but most people who do that will print their name
instead of using cursive writing. And then each letter is usually written
separately instead of them flowing together. In both books, the "a" and "z"
in "Paz" flow together, so that is probably not his version of printing his
name in cursive. Women write in cursive a lot more than men do, but I don't
know what it was like for LaPaz' generation.

Or maybe you are talking about the guy's first name which is in Mike's book
but not in yours? But that doesn't matter in this case. Looking at the
last name, it's very obvious that the "L" is very different between Mike's
and your books' signatures/names, so two different people wrote those names.

You and the guy selling the book could very well be correct in saying that
this is LaPaz' signature or written name, but there is no way to know for
sure. The way people write changes over time (especially from childhood to
adulthood), but major changes (like that "L") are not usually changed during
adulthood. Mike has been dealing with historical books for a long time, so
I would trust his word on this subject more than most people's.

If that really is LaPaz' signature, then that (and the notations) would
increase the value of the book for some collectors. Other collectors, of
course, could care less.

Regards,

Bob