[meteorite-list] More evidence of building blocks of DNA in meteorites

From: dorifry <dorifry_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2011 14:49:46 -0400

Hello fellow Listerians:

It's hype, just like the sketchy arsenic-based life forms and the imaginary
Martian fossils. First off when you say DNA, most people think of a biotic
double helix just like we have in the nuclei of our cells. Components of
DNA is an entirely different thing, like maybe a little bit of a rung from
the DNA ladder. And the same nucleobases plus some hypoxanthine and xanthine
were found in the surrounding ice and soil samples near the other
meteorites. Sounds a lot like terrestrial contamination. Maybe the analog
compounds were present or created at impact, but it sure sounds like the
other stuff seeped in while the meteorites lay there for how long? I mean
c'mon the exact same compounds? What are the chances of that? They've got to
stop crying wolf all the time, it's getting old.

Phil Whitmer
Joshua Tree Earth& Space Museum