[meteorite-list] Cat Mountain on EBay

From: cdtucson at cox.net <cdtucson_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2011 10:02:15 -0400

Regine,
To be clear. I will answer your questions in ALL CAPS below after each question.

---- Regine Petersen <fips_bruno at yahoo.de> wrote:
> Hi Sonny and list,

can someone clarify some things for me? I find it a bit confusing, so excuse me if I ask obvious questions. These are the facts as far as I have understood them:

Apart from the first Cat Mountain find there was Snyder Hill, which was not part of the same fall and only found while looking for further Cat Mountain pieces.

THIS IS CORRECT. IT HAS NOT BEEN LINKED TO CAT MT BUT, THEY ARE THE SAME CLASSIFICATION OF L5 WHICH IN AND OF ITSELF SEEMS A BIT COINCIDENTAL. ALTHOUGH THEY LOOK NOTHING ALIKE.

There was another small Cat Mountain found by Robert Haag which didn't get classified.

TECHNICALLY IT WAS A PECAN SIZED PIECE FOUND DURING THE SEARCH BACK IN 1995 AND ALSO FOUND BY THE SAME GROUP THAT FOUND SNYDER HILL BUT WAS IMMEDIATELY SOLD TO ROBERT HAAG.
AND HE NEVER DID GET IT CLASSIFIED.

Now hunters were searching the Snyder Hill site and found two more Cat Mountains which are now sold on eBay.

NO. TWO MORE PIECES HAVE BEEN FOUND BUT ONLY PART OF ONE OF THEM HAS BEEN SOLD ON EBAY TO RUBEN. THE PIECE SOLD ON EBAY TO RUBEN WEIGHED 61 GRAMS AND WAS PART OF THE RECENT 107 GRAM FIND. THE OTHER 170 GRAM FIND REMAINS AVAILABLE FOR SALE BY COUNT DEIRO.

Who found the rocks, Count Deiro or the hunters who have also found the Snyder Hill piece?

THE COUNT IS NOT SAYING WHO FOUND THE SECOND ONE BUT THE FIRST WAS FOUND BY THE SAME FELLOW (DAVE JOHNSON) WHO FOUND THE SNYDER HILL AND THE ONE SOLD TO ROBERT HAAG..

 Who is selling them? And why was the third rock which was found designated 001?
THE SECOND ROCK WAS THE ONE DESIGNATED 001 AND THE THIRD ONE WHICH IS STILL BEING OFFERED BY THE COUNT IS 002. IT WEIGHS 164.5 GRAMS

The second one hasn't been classified, but wouldn't the original find get the first number?

NO. THE ORIGINAL FIND GETS THE NAME. TECHNICALLY THE FOLLOWING FINDS GET THE SAME NAME WITH SEQUENTIAL NUMBERS AFTER THE NAME BUT THIS IS THE CONFUSING PART. I THOUGHT THEY ONLY GOT DIFFERENT NUMBERS IF THEY WERE FOUND TO BE A DIFFERENT CLASSIFICATION. THE REASON I AM CONFUSED IS THAT SNYDER HILL SEEMS LIKE IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN CALLED CAT MT. 001 AS IT WAS FOUND IN THE CAT MT STREWNFIELD BUT IT GOT A SEPARATE NAME.
SO, MY QUESTION IS ; WHICH IS THE CORRECT WAY TO NAME THESE NOW FIVE METEORITES? THERE IS CAT MT THE ORIGINAL AND MAIN MASS. AND THREE OTHER RELATED ROCKS ONE PECAN SIZE ROCK SOLD TO HAAG. ONE 107 GRAM ROCK PART OF WHICH WAS SOLD TO RUBEN AND THE LAST ONE OF 170 GRAMS THE COUNT IS SELLING 164.5 GRAMS OF NOW. AND THERE IS SNYDER HILL..
IS THERE A TRUE OFFICIAL WAY TO DO THIS?
CARL

Pretty amazing finds :-)
Regine