[meteorite-list] Cat Mountain on EBay

From: MexicoDoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2011 15:13:46 -0400

Thank you Carl for that clear explanation, actually I was in the corner
on this one with Regine - couldn't follow any of this unambiguously
until now, but simply though I'd wait until it was properly aged for
public consumption to ask. Way to go Ruben! Carl, Your question about
Bob Haag's pecan-sized piece you already answered yourself - if it
hasn't been classified and it is not obviously paired to Cat Mountain
by reasonable cause, then it is simply an unclassified stone believed
to be a meteorite - so it would get no number unless it were submitted
with the same batch containing the numbers - logically they would all
be provisional numbers until a decision is made whether to 'officially'
keep numbers or not.

I think Rob or someone else may have asked this (I wondered at the time
as well), never saw the answer - but what is this 001 and 002 business
- has NomCom decided that this is now a dense desert? Sounds like it,
and given Carl's answers, rightly so .... but none of this was clear to
me until Carl made this post.

Finally, can someone say why those incredible US Martians: LA001 and
LA002 got numbers if they are considered paired? Bob? There's no
LA003 through LA00n that I'm aware of ... Can a slice of one be
distingueshed from another? Are there other examples of unique /
closed numbering? What ever happened to the protocol of (a), (b), (c),

Kindest wishes
Doug