[meteorite-list] Annual Influx Rate and Average Velocity

From: al mitt <almitt_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 17:31:37 -0400

Hi Robert and all,

I think it is John G. Burke in his book Cosmic Debris that has a chart that
shows influx and a pretty broad scale. The scale shows Impacts that occur. A
1 micron diameter object collides every microseconds, a 1 mm diameter every
30 seconds, a 1 meter diameter every year, a 100 meter diameter every 10,000
years and a 10 km diameter every 100,000,000 years. I know that is pretty
broad for what you want.

There was also a Canadian Study done a few years back. Think they figured
10,000 objects over 100 grams influx. Over 3/4 of those hit water. About
3,000 hit land in a years time in the 100 gram range.

As for speeds, depending if the Earth is traveling into a stream or if the
stream is catching up would give a drastic variation in collisions speeds.
The ones that tend to catch up survive most often.

Perhaps others can chime in on this and help out further.

--AL Mitterling