[meteorite-list] Annual Influx Rate and Average Velocity

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 15:51:30 -0600

Simple mathematics requires that any particular meteoroid class will
have "one average velocity". But the standard deviation is huge! It
doesn't matter whether you are talking about dust, pebbles, boulders, or
asteroids: the body will have an orbital velocity where it crosses
Earth's orbit that depends on the eccentricity of the orbit (and there
is a very wide range, from circular to slightly hyperbolic). The actual
impact velocity is further determined by the inclination, whether the
orbit is prograde or retrograde, and by Earth's axial rotation. So I
don't think that there is much value to the idea of an "average"
meteoroid velocity unless you break down your categories much finer.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com