[meteorite-list] Iron lattice graphics [Was: Unknown irons at ASU]

From: Richard Kowalski <damoclid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 09:43:46 -0800 (PST)

Graham,

I'd venture to say such a project would be pretty costly and time consuming, and still wouldn't permit the viewer to "see" the lattice from an infinite number of angles.

What would be really neat would be if some graphics guru on this list put together a tool that allowed the user to view the crystal lattice of the iron in 3D, rotate it around and travel through it. Possible an extension could be a demonstration of how the lattice grew and the iron condensed out of the melt. Just a couple of examples of what could be done that would be impossible to do with a book. I'm sure there are many more.

To be honest, considering how much knowledge and talent that can be found on this list, I have to say I'm surprised no one has already done this.

--
Richard Kowalski
Full Moon Photography