[meteorite-list] Cleaning Sikhote Alin meteorites

From: JoshuaTreeMuseum <joshuatreemuseum_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 12:49:52 -0500

Martin,
It's been my experience on eBay at least, that people won't buy uncleaned
meteorites. I had a group of Odessa irons, some cleaned, some not. Every
single one of the cleaned ones sold, not a single one of the rusty ones
sold. I did receive numerous emails about condition issues with the
meteorites though. People thought there was something wrong with them.

---------------------------

I wanted to be a rocket scientist, but they said I was only good enough to
be a bottle-rocket scientist. (PW)

---------------------------

Phil Whitmer

--------------------------
Hi Ruben,

I personally would let them, or at least some of them, uncleaned.
Almost all of the Sikhotes of the great Russian years of the last decade
were cleaned, many of them much too strongly, so that pieces with rusty
patina are really an exception.

And I would know a lot of collectors, who would love to own also a piece in
as-found-condition besides their cleaned ones in their showcases.

Speaking as a dealer, I would guess, you easily would get the same price for
them as for the cleaned ones
(and if you would be a greedy one, maybe even more, in highlighting that
such a condition is a true exception).

Speaking as collector, I would place them as they are next to the cleaned
ones, and for the unlikely case you haven't any cleaned ones, just buy
another lot of cleaned Sikhotes as an addition to the rusty ones.

Best!
Martin