[meteorite-list] The Human Presence in the Solar System

From: karmaka <karmaka_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2011 11:46:25 +0100 (CET)

I fully agree with you, Richard and Sterling.
It is definitely a Golden Age we live in, which is even more exciting
than any period of space exploration before. Just
think about all we have learned in the last ten years...how much our horizons have widened...

To me it is incomprehensible how anyone can seriously
want to put these remarkable missions, triumphs of human ingenuity, and future ones in danger.
It can only be based on lack of information, ignorance or wrong priorities.

Just think about the (future) triumphs of Messenger, New Horizons, Dawn, Cassini, the Mars rovers etc. ...

Next to this have a look at the ever increasing US federal military budget:
$ 685.100.000.000 !!!!!!!!!! in 2010 (by far the largest military budget in the world)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/55/U.S._Defense_Spending_Trends.png

Can you even imagine this amount of money?
1 in 5 dollars of the US Federal spending is only for this.

Next to this the NASA budget has decreased (in % of Fed budget) almost continously between 1991 and 2008.

In 2010 it was $ 18.724 billion. That is a mere 0,5 % of the Federal budget in 2010.

I believe we can do without new weapons and new wars but we can't do without dreams
and experiences which stimulate the BEST in us: our curiosity and
even philosophical thoughts about what we are and where we are.
Weapons are invented and produced to kill. It is as simple as that.
How creative is that?
Does this stimulate the best in us as a species?

You are right, Richard. The space missions must to be talked about more than before
because they have an incredible potential to stimulate the dreams of millions of people
in the world. Talk to your grandchildren and children (the decision makers of the future) about the missions and show them the breathtaking images of the planets and moons. I believe no one can remain disinterested when being faced with the beathtaking beauty they reveal. Go to schools and tell the students for example about meteorites and where they come from. Richard is right, talk to your local politicians and representatives and stimulate their interest and their fascination. Maybe no one has ever done this ...
Lamenting about what is going on does not change anything.
Be active, talk to people and share the passion and awe that you feel.
Be passionate and people will listen...and hopefully change.

Martin

-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----