[meteorite-list] The Human Presence in the Solar System

From: Meteorites USA <eric_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2011 03:26:30 -0700

Let the data and knowledge speak for itself.

Voyager I & II
Apollo Missions
Space Shuttle Missions
Hubble (without which many of these missions would not have been
possible or even considered)
Spitzer
StarDust
Dawn
EPOXI
WISE
Spirit
Opportunity
Curiosity (coming soon to a planet near you)
Messenger
Hyabusa (not ours, but worth doing)
Kepler (perhaps the most important)

And many many more successful missions.

What else do they want? Come on... The government dropped $700+ Billion
on the banks and auto manufacturers... Why can't they spare $100 Billion
for the advancement and preservation of the human species?

What the advancement of the space program (which has a direct influence
on the advancement and survival of the human species) has achieved both
intrinsically, and scientifically is immeasurable in dollars. Knowledge
is priceless. It's also the most precious and valuable thing in the
universe, we should cherish it, where it came from, and how we gained
it. More advanced technology, more businesses, more scientists, and more
money has been pumped into the economy than can be accurately measured
since the beginning of the space program. A student today, who watches
the Moon landing on video for the first time may be motivated to study
astronomy, or become an astronaut themselves. They may join the
military, become a pilot, and perhaps fly a real space craft.

Humans are curious. We want to know. It's in our nature, it's what makes
us human.

Would there be as many people interested in science if NASA had never so
much as launched a rocket? Would there be as many astronomers and
scientific discoveries if Hubble never existed? The Hubble Deep Field is
a perfect example. 1,500 galaxies discovered. Then as if that weren't
good enough, another photo was taken, this time deeper into the
blackness of space. The Hubble Ultra Deep Field. One photograph 10,000
galaxies in a section of space equal to only 1/12700000th of the total
area of sky. If the whole sky was photographed and the same data holds
true throughout, that's 127 Billion galaxies in the visible/observable
universe. And that's not to say there's not more, considering that's at
the limits of current technological possibility. If we could see
further, would we see more galaxies? Yeah, I'd say that's a safe bet.

The economical effects may not be measurable. What is the effects of the
money that's injected back into the economy by those entrepreneurs that
were inspired to start a new business or create a new technology based
on what they learned through the space program? If we never had the
space program would we have the technological advancement we have today?
Would there be as many scientists advancing human knowledge at an ever
growing exponential rate?

Regards,
Eric