[meteorite-list] Ethics question?

From: Brian Cox <searchingforfun_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 05:31:04 -0500

Richard, Bill, Barrett and List,

Personally if a meteorite were glued together I'd want to know, but I'm
positive I could tell it were glued together. Now, to be honest with you,
unless the person was an expert at gluing meteorites, I'm sure most people
could tell it was glued, I would think. If you had a great deal of
experience at gluing Native American or Pre-Columbian artifacts and or stone
or metal objects together most people could tell that also, and in any case
you should always advise someone it's glued if you were selling it.

I would think most people selling their meteorites at that point would sell
them separately and they would probably make more money selling the separate
pieces than as a whole. As you know every year the specimens are getting
smaller and smaller, and then you're down to micro-mounts and dust. I
recently bought a decent crumb, about 144 mg of New Concord that I can see
and a 19 mg Weston, which is just too small honestly for me, and I'd rather
have a 1 gram piece but none were available. We all know dealers buy
meteorites and break them down to smaller and smaller specimens and they
make more money per specimen that way, since it's more money per mg or gram.
This is also helpful to beginners or those not wanting to spend a great deal
of money and for those who want to have a specific meteorite in their
collection and the small specimens do allow this.

I recently bought eleven very nice meteorites ( 9 separate names) and there
were 2 pieces of Agoult that fit together that were sold separately, a 1.6
gm and 1 gram piece. I was happy with them, and the seller made more money
probably than if they hadn't been broken and sold as a 2.6 gram specimen. I
also bought his 2 Bruderheim pieces, a 9.7 gm and a 1.0 gm piece that fit
together like a puzzle. I'm happy, and they look nice, and if I sell them
I'll probably sell them separately too since again if they broke
accidentally or were broken to sell separately and to make more money,
either way is fine. I bought them and someone else will also. Honesty is the
best policy.

Take care and may a large Lunar or Martian Meteorite fall into your yard
today.

Brian