[meteorite-list] Ethics question?

From: Peter Davidson <P.Davidson_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 14:31:48 -0000

Richard, Bill, Barrett and others

I agree with Brian Cox in that it is important when repairing specimens
to ensure that it is clear that this has been repaired and that it is
not being passed off as anything otherwise. Artefacts are often repaired
when there is sufficient material remaining, or if it will add to the
scientific or academic value of the object. But it is usually made very
obvious that it has been repaired.

Mineral specimens do get damaged and repairs are a day-to-day job for
our conservators. These are done as invisibly as possible, but the
repair is noted in detail on the specimen label. I guess it is up to the
owner to decide what to do. Without seeing the pieces it is difficult to
give you anything other than general advice.

Cheers

Peter Davidson
Curator of Minerals

Department of Natural Sciences