[meteorite-list] Ethics question?

From: Jim Wooddell <jimwooddell_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 07:28:34 -0700

Good Morning Barrett,

I Found a meteorite yesterday while hunting and it was a broken piece.
 So I looked around a little more and found the other broken half! I
messed with them a little and proved they go together in a puzzle.
Awesome piece. When my hunting buddies all got together a little
later, one of them commented....don't glue the thing....which I would
not do anyway.
The fact it was found in broken pieces and the fact I actually found
the larger second piece, I feel, this is unique to the find and I will
never glue these.

When I found my first ever meteorite, I made a lot of mistakes with
it. First, I did notice it was a fractured piece. When I put it in
the vice, I cracked it in half. I knew immediately I made a mistake!
However, what was neat about that is there was a complete 1 gram iron
nodule (speer) in the middle of it...just like the kind of little
irons found in the same area. So, I learned a few things while this
happened. I was sick that the thing cracked in half...being my first
ever stone, but it worked out okay. Since then, a chunk of it was cut
and sent to a lab. I ended up gluing this one back together but I am
not sure I would do that again.
I have another meteorite I bought at Tucson to use as a study piece.
It became a puzzle sometime between where I bought it and home. I do
not intend to glue it. I kind of decided it alters the nature of the
stones when gluing, but that is just my feeling on it.
I do not believe you have any ethics issues gluing you own stone. I
think if you intend to sell it or show it and do not disclose it's
been glued, then ethics come into play.

Kind Regards,

Jim Wooddell