[meteorite-list] Lovina: most likely not a meteorite

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 20:32:07 -0700 (PDT)

I was once forwarded a suspected meteorite by a German friend that was found by
a King on a tiny atoll in an island nation. It was very much different than all
of the surrounding material is the reason he picked it up to begin with. We
deduced that it was probably a ballast stone. It was a heavy dense stone that
reminds me of Lovina. Heavy rocks and slag were loaded as ballast in ships'
hulls. The ship wrecks on the beach, then weathers away and all that is left is
a pile of dense ballast stones and slag that have no relationship with their
surroundings.

My best guess is that Lovina is an industrial byproduct (slag) used as ballast
and left behind on a beach.

It seems at least plausible since it is not a meteorite.

Best Regards,

Adam