[meteorite-list] New Meteorites

From: Michael Gilmer <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2011 13:17:15 -0400

Phil's mash-up was hilarious. The laugh I got from that was well
worth the flak I caught for starting the thread.

Strange thing is, lots of serious meteorite science gets discussed on
this list. The archives show that. A visit to the archives will show
numerous interesting, on-topic, and "serious" posts about meteorites
and meteoritics. Of course, the archives will also show some
off-topic stuff, aliens, divining rods, and other posts of dubious
worth, but they are outnumbered by the serious posts.

I've posted numerous (too many to count) "serious" posts over the
years on this List about meteorites and meteorite science, and some of
them have resulted in great discussions. Other posts of a similar
nature we largely ignored. I won't do like some people and blame the
List itself or start calling List-members "idiots". Instead, I blame
it on the fickle nature of the internet itself. Not everyone is
online everyday. Not everyone checks List emails every day. People
have real lives outside of meteorites, and sometimes interesting posts
get lost or ignored. I'd love it if every "serious" meteorite thread
resulted in heavy discussions with input from bright minds like
Sterling, Doug, or the scientists like Korotev, Bunch, Rubin, Irving,
Garvie, and others. But just because they don't post every day or
reply to every serious post, doesn't mean they think the List is crap
and List-members are idiots - it probably just means they have more
important things to do on that day.

In my 4 years on this List, I have seen the overall tone of discussion
wax and wane from the intellectual to the vapid, and back again. I've
seen feuds and apologies. I've seen people get banned and then be
reinstated. I've seen swan songs and goodbyes and I have seen people
re-emerge from the shadows to be active again. It's the natural ebb
and flow of things. But it's not an indictment of the worth of this
List - it's just a result of the eccentric and colorful characters
that populate this mailing list. It's part of what makes things
interesting.

One thing has remained constant during my time here - people respect
Art and his wishes. When Art pops up and says "enough is enough", the
list members take heed. This is Art's list and if it's heading in a
direction contrary to his wishes, then I'm confident he will step in
and say so - and people will listen.

Best regards,

MikeG
--
Galactic Stone & Ironworks - Meteorites & Amber (Michael Gilmer)
Website - http://www.galactic-stone.com