[meteorite-list] Tucson

From: MexicoDoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 02:28:01 -0500 (EST)

Hi Ed, I'm sorry you can't make it to Tucson, but if you don't have
dental insurance, you'll probably get a better work for half the price
right across the border from Tucson/Nogales and can make your trip
worthwhile.

Plus you might find some interesting stuff in Yaqui culture if you look
hard enough in that territory. Really from a meteorite hunting
perspective it's hard to top the Yaquis. They traditionally believe
that everything that "inhabits" the desert intercommunicates with a
proto-language. This includes (especially) rocks. I have always
wondered what lore of meteorites they might have and what they would
make of it and you would be the guy to work that out. Maybe a
full-blooded Yaqui fluent in the old language could ask the rocks where
they keep their meteorites ;-) as a bonus! Anyway, a super interesting
never-conquered culture which if not for commercialization of "La
Bamba" would probably get even more respect and a better
understanding...

Anyway, the Deer Dance is all about the arid desert hunt where
successfully finding and bagging one is a matter of survival. Here's
an excellent no bullshit/no props representation of it to whet your
appetite:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2npNtRk_Kc&feature=related

But back to this, you will find excellent english speaking dentists in
Nogales at:
http://www.mexicandoctorsdir.com/Nogales_Dental_Association_Members.htm

Kindest wishes
Doug