[meteorite-list] Meteorite main mass hunting with a blimp

From: MexicoDoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2012 21:17:20 -0400 (EDT)

Sounds to me more like a publicity stunt from the blimp company,
offered to scientists "free" for publicity they can get for their blimp
rides. Pretty good marketing on the company's part, IMO. As for
scientists, pretty sure they are going for free, just their fixed
overhead expense will be lost to the government, their grant, private
company or whatever combination they work under. Surely they told
their bosses they would do it on a weekend, or work the weekend to make
it up, it's all funny money anyway and anyways, in their business and
all of government in general "Work expands so as to fill the time
available for its completion.", so nothing really lost and they will
love their jobs more. Who among us wouldn't go in a heartbeat, come'on.

Anyway if they follow the estimate trajectory line they conceivably
might see something from a different perspective, like Tunguska :-P,
but it really sounds more like they are goofing off. Well, they have
the chance to get the last laugh.

Scientists routinely use expensive fitted jets to stay aloft many hours
during meteor showers just to get better sampling of the action from
the higher altitude. I can see where one idea led to another. At
least Sky Adventures or whatever it's called will see a spike of
business.

Best wishes
Doug