[meteorite-list] A Bunch of Irregular Stones I Found (+How I Think They May Have Originated)

From: Matson, Robert D. <ROBERT.D.MATSON_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2013 17:14:14 -0700

Hi Peter,

> I am open to opinions, but, in truth, it is almost an atrocity
> the way the objects depicted in some, to my own discredit, less-
> than-stellar photographs can be absolutely dismissed off-handedly,
> and so quickly!

In this particular case, your pictures are not at fault. They show
enough that apparently a number of experienced members here are
willing to offer strong opinions (even if not always quantifying
it) that what you have is not meteoritic. [If I were to put a
number on my own certainty, having just looked at your pictures
for the first time, I'd feel safe in pegging it at the 4-sigma
level (99.994%)].

> Why is it that people think they can gain, or maintain prestige,
> in a scientific field by failing to qualify their opinions, as
> such.

I think in most cases people aren't trying to be boastful of
their pronouncements -- they are honestly trying to be truthful
and helpful. Resist the temptation to shoot the messenger.

> By the same token that Ms. Black has suggested I read Korotev
> on meteorwrongs, I would suggest some of you read material,
> perhaps even from Freud, discussing "the ego" in order to
> understand why you wouldn't, at least, qualify, your assertions,
> to some extent, by saying, "I am nearly certain," or "rather
> sure," because you must know you are fallible ...

I would counter that Freud's ego can work both for and against
you. I'm sure you are aware that there are a disturbing number of
people who are willing to believe outlandish things in the face
of ample evidence to the contrary. (I'm not saying you fall into
this category.) The bottom line is that if you are looking for
an expert opinion on the meteoritic possibilities of a rock
based solely on images presented, there is no more authoritative
online group from which you can get an instant and reliable
response than this Meteorite List.

Best wishes,
Rob