[meteorite-list] Cutting An Iron

From: Mendy Ouzillou <mendy.ouzillou_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2016 14:58:11 -0500

John,

Here is the issue: You claimed to have FOUND this meteorite on your property.

The problem is that what you have, in fact, is a Campo del Cielo. So, either you are the victim of a hoax and someone planted that meteorite for you to find, or you are trying to perpetuate a fraud onto our community. This community has its flaws and conflicts, but the one thing we are united in is ensuring that meteorites are real and that meteorites are properly represented as what they truly are. In the few responses your received, you are looking at probably over 100 years of experience dealing and handling meteorites. Campo del Cielo is one of the more easily recognizable meteorites out there for collectors and dealers. We see them by the tons, literally. Research institutions often see such small pieces of meteorite specimens that they may not have the experience we do in recognizing complete specimens. So you see, PSU's Cascade Meteorite Lab is neither stupid nor complicit. Riddle solved. We have seen this scam before and more than once. In fact, just recently one of our members told the story of uns
crupulous vendors in Morocco selling Campos as new irons from the Sahara (this was a while ago). One famous fraud is the Baygorria meteorite (http://imca.cc/insights/2006/IMCA-Insights03.htm).

I do not know you or your motivations, so I won?t comment on that. If you are the victim of a hoax, find out who perpetrated it. If you are trying to scam us, then please don?t try to argue. I?ve copied Dr. Ruzikaa who is the director of the Cascadia Meteorite Lab so that they may be informed of the situation. They may still decide to classify your meteorite, but at least they will have all the information necessary to make their decision. We are a small but tight knit community, and we call it as we see it. Some of us might seem rude and some of us might seem helpful, but none of us will tolerate anyone trying to perpetuate a hoax that COULD make our community look bad.

Mendy Ouzillou