[meteorite-list] Nitol Etching Formula

From: bobadebt at ec.rr.com <bobadebt_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2017 10:06:08 -0400

I looked but can seem to find this specific info so I hope someone on here can help.

I know the basic formula for Nitol etching solution is 90% alcohol and 10% nitric acid.

BUT what are the strengths is this formula based on?

For instance, you can readily buy 70% and 90% alcohol at any store and nitric acid comes in a huge variety of strengths but 63% seems to be the most common.

The reason I ask is that I have an acquaintance that has 1/2 gallon of 50% strength nitric acid that he would love to give to me but because he can not easily dispose of it

BUT I need to determine the correct ratio before I accept his gift because I am pretty sure the nitol formula uses stronger acid

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks