[meteorite-list] Nitol Etching Formula

From: Mendy Ouzillou <mendy.ouzillou_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2017 10:01:58 -0500

The short answer is that it depends.

Some people use the weaker 10% Nitol and others use closer to 30% Nitol (I
am pretty sure based on fuming 63-67% Nitric acid), and some use everything
in between based on the actual meteorite being etched. I use the 63-67%
Nitric acid and mix it with 99.9% methanol (acid into methanol slowly). The
acid you are considering is just diluted with water and depending on what
you are etching, should be fine. I would just increase the acid into the
alcohol and use a 90%+ alcohol.

My view is that etching is far more art than science and requires much
experimentation to get "right". Hope this helps.

Best,

Mendy Ouzillou