Re: Meteorites in ex-soviet union

Jim -
   While I have not collected or imported meteorites
from any of the Soviet successor states, I did meet
with some Kazakh space scientists a couple of years
back.
   May I suggest that you might want to contact the
scientific organizations in Kazakhstan when you get
there?   Funding for science has been weak since the
breakup of the Soviet Union, and it may be possible
for you to acquire extras from their collections or arrange for slices
for very reasonable amounts.
    If you have more time and money, perhaps you might be able to have
them accompany you for a small quick
visit to a known strewn field.  Salaries are not what
they used to be, and I'm sure that any donations
would be appreciated.
    You might also want to try contacting the science
attache at the Kazakhstani embassy in DC before you
go, in order to find out the addresses for these people.  You may also
be able to locate them through US oil company geologists, if you have
any contacts with any of them.
     I think that travel in other Central Eurasian
republics is probably pretty difficult right now, and you probably
want to check the State Department travel bulletins before traveling
to the rural areas of any of them looking for meteorites.

                                   Good Luck -
                                        Ed

---"James H. Dawdy"  wrote:

> The bulletin regarding a fall in Turkmenistan prompts me to ask if
> anyone has any experience buying and removing meteorites from the
former
> Soviet Union, especially Central Asia.  I will be traveling to
Kazakstan